Narrowing the gap between the East and West Germany
The CEB’s health projects in Brandenburg help enhance social cohesion between the old and the new Länder (federal states of Germany).
After many years of neglect under the communist government of East Germany, the hospitals in the State of Brandenburg were left in extremely poor conditions. Following reunification, there was an urgent need to improve the level of hospital care in order to bring it up to the standards of West Germany. This called for extensive renovation, new construction and serious investment in medical equipment.
With a € 96 million loan to the Investitionsbank des Landes Brandenburg (ILB), the CEB stepped in to help Brandenburg modernise three of its key hospitals. The Ernst von Bergmann clinic in Potsdam was one the beneficiaries of this loan. During the CEB’s 50th Joint Meeting participants had a chance to visit it and witness its transformation.
The clinic, founded in 1756 as a pest house, was the central hospital for the district of Potsdam from the end of WWII up until reunification. Today, one of the 50 largest community hospitals in the country, it is a modern health facility that provides all aspects of medical care, from prevention and inpatient care to facilities for the elderly.
The CEB’s loan funded the building of a mother-child centre equipped with state-of-the-art pediatric emergency department, a maternity ward with five labour rooms and a breast milk collection unit. 1945 babies were born in the clinic last year.
The CEB funds were also used to build a new emergency department, an intensive care unit with a neonatal intensive facility, new operating theatres and a helipad on the roof of the building.
More than 17 000 surgical procedures are undertaken at Ernst von Bergmann clinic every year. The health care facility treats more than 50 000 patients per year.